Sunday 28 October 2012

A view of the moon

Well I've been for a while, mainly because the sky has been absent for a while! It finally returned to us on Thursday, and Friday night saw the return of some stars for about 10 mins.

We weren't really able to see anything new, but were able to see the moon for the first time with the telescope. All too quickly though the cloud descended and engulfed the sky.

Yesterday, we had a pretty cloud free afternoon which continued as darkness fell. We were able to look at the moon in great detail and pick out craters. I couldn't see footsteps though ;)

Didn't see any new constellations, although I'm sure I saw stars I didn't recognise but by the time I got round to figuring out which ones they were they were gone. Shall look out for them again next time.

The summer triangle has definitely begun to move round in the sky, so I'm hoping it won't be long before different autumn/winter constellations will begin appearing.

Since I can't take photos with my camera, here is a pic I took of the moon through the scope with the my iPod. Not great but you can see it in fairly good detail I thought. Specially the crater Aristarchus, which is the very bright spot on the bottom right of the picture, or top left of the actual moon (when it's not inverted from a telescope).





No comments:

Post a Comment